Match Reports

Saturday 13th October 2018

Ignatians 1st XI 6 Queen Mary’s 4
Scorers: Alex 3; Jake 3; Conor 1

MoM: Alex
Muppet: Dave

The 1sts travelled to Fairlop for a league game against Queen Mary’s who took all 6 points from us last season

With Peter minus his zimmer back in contention and a last min appearance by Liam after his pre-season injury we had a full squad of 14 looking forward to playing on what is always a decent pitch

Extra excitement in the air this week as the clubs new centenary kit was being used for the first time – and hand delivered to the game by John O’ Brien. See pic of lads in the new club kit
Tommy did he usual pre-match ‘fine ritual’ – rifling through the lads bags to see if spare boots were clean – he’s taking no prisoners this season.

Dave was back on music so some decent tracks echoed around the changing room – even if only Peter and Tom appreciated having some proper ‘non -rap’ tunes for a change. ‘Daydream Believer’ by the Monkees will take some beating this season!

Last week’s decent performance against Prem side Meads saw the boys in good spirits and despite the gale force wind, the lads were keen to get going and we had a strong bench of Liam D, Jack Ryan and Liam OG.

The ko was delayed by 30 mins as the ref hit a cyclist on the way to the match – clearly not someone to mess with – so Rens pre-match warm-up routine was somewhat extended with more time for nutmeg and crossbar/post fines – none escaping Tommy’s radar!

So 30 mins late we began with the wind in our favour and what followed was a goal fest of ten goals – not so much a thriller but a  scrappy wind affected affair that eventually saw us run out 6-4 winners and deservedly so although we do make it hard for ourselves and painful to watch at times

Although the wind was behind us, it made it difficult to judge forward passes and through balls and the start was scrappy with Queens Marys probably having the better half chances  and spurning a good one on one chance- although Joe did well to keep his feet and not go down early.

Anyhow about 20 mins in, Alex went on one of his mazy runs, past 3 or 4 players and buried the ball in the far corner. Classic Alex goal. 1-0

Within 30 seconds (as in previous weeks), it was 1-1. QM’stricky midfield number 11, ran through unchallenged and his long shot somehow found the bottom corner 1-1

A couple of mins later the same player bamboozled Steve and James on the left, cut inside and fired home his 2nd goal 1-2

Shortly after this, Liam D entered the fray and replaced Steve – his remit was to get hold of the number 11 – a task that Liam relished!

At some stage Callum cut in from the left and unleashed a rocket that had goal of the season written all over it until the QM keeper pulled off a worldly save to tip over the bar!

We kept plugging away and about 5 mins before half time, Jake slipped a decent ball through to Conor, and with the oppo trying to keep him on his left foot, he used his right peg to lash home and draw us level. 2-2.

At half time we thought that playing against the wind in the 2nd half might suit us and this proved to be the case although we again made it difficult for ourselves with some really poor goals conceded as we will come on to. Jack Ryan came on for Sean McDaddy who had been breast feeding new son Freddy all through the night

Within seconds of the restart, Conor’s cross was fumbled by the QM keeper and Alex gratefully nodded home. 3-2

Joe and his back four of James, Peter, Tom and Callum, coped well with the gale force wind in their faces and Liam D stuck to his task and menacingly stalked he QM number 11 around the pitch

We had some good possession and after some good build up play, skipper Ren found a clever defence splitting pass that set Jake through with just the keeper to beat and after bagging 4 goals at training on Tues the confidence was high and Jake duly finished to put us 4-2 up.

In typical Ignatian fashion we then let QM back into the game when we switched off at a corner. We gave QM all the time in the world to take a short corner and pick out a decent cross that left our zonal marking in disarray and their number 11 thumped home a header for his hat trick and brought the oppo back into game at 4-3

After giving away such a poor goal we got back on the front foot although had to keep on our toes as QM were pacy and quick on the break. A Joe clearance was flicked on by Ren to Jake who turned his man and set off for another one on one with the same outcome – another goal. 5-3

Game over? No way. Amazingly we let QM take another unchallenged short corner with the same result- their number 11 smashed home his 4th goal to cut the deficit to one goal. 5-4

Fortunately, the last 10 mins or so wern’t nail bitingly tense as Alex was set through by Conor and with just the keeper to beat he put us 6-4 up and grabbed himself a hat trick and the Man of the Match vote.

There was time for the QM keeper to pull off another great save when a corner from Conor was met by a diving header from Jake which the keeper did well to tip over.

Steve came back on for Jake and Liam made a long awaited return when he came on to replace James Bell who has had a couple of great games at right back

So 3 points in difficult hurricane conditions, a new club kit, great music, healthy fine kitty, good spirit and a good general feel around the place. The new young lads James and Jack are settling in well. We have players coming back from injury and lads dropped to the 2nds who want their places back and Peter who is determined to reach his 70th as 1st team centre back. So competition for places is good and training has seen best club attendance for a good number of years

However, we have to cut out the sloppy goals. We look great going forward but have to work hard for our goals. The oppo don’t seem to have to work as hard as us as our mistakes and lack of concentration at times keep gifting easy goals – cut this out all round and we’ll be fine

1st team social is at Loyola next Sat for Paul Coyle’s Charity Race night – so social sec Callum Barton will be on your case this week to make sure you attend

Mom: Alex – hat trick and good all round display

Muppet: Dave – for thinking Callum was marking 2 players when  a substitution was being made! (Thanks Callum for bringing this to the lads attention!)


Saturday 7th October 2018

1st X1 2 Meads 3

Scorers: Jake Watson; Renaldo (pen)

MoM: Renaldo   Muppet: Conor OG

We started with Joe in goal, a back four of James, Tommy, Callum and Sean McDaddy, with Steve and a first nod for Sean Nolan in the central midfield. After weeks of unsuccessful auditions Sean Nolan was finally given his chance in central midfield, more to follow and how that went. Then we had 3 just behind the striker of Ren, Alex and Conor with Jake up top.

Ignatius started very slowly as not only had a few of the boys been out for a few jars on the Friday night but the weather conditions were absolutely awful. A misplaced pass in the midfield led to a cross that was delivered to the back post and a decent connection was made on target but one the Joe should, especially with the season he is having so far, have collected –  1-0 down.

Ignatius were then let off as a counter attack broke from just inside the Ignatius half leading to one of the oppositions centre midfielders being put clean through on goal. As he was bearing through on goal Tommy has come rushing over to fill in for one of his midfielders and has taken out the: man? Ball? Only God will ever know, none the less a free kick was awarded and a yellow card was handed out for the foul/tackle. Ignatius were trying to play some decent football but again with the weather conditions it was difficult to get the ball under, without causing the opposition too many problems in the final third. Jake latched onto a fine near post cross to convert Ignatius first real chance. After an underwhelming telling off from the skipper the week before about, “silly little mistakes” he decided to contribute to our team’s willingness to occasionally not make it too difficult for the opposition to score. A very poor ball back to Callum was met by an equally poor touch allowing the opposition to surround him and steal the ball off him, who then went through to score, 2-1.

The oppositions wide players were causing Ignatius lots of problems towards the end of the first half and this was no more evident when another long ball over the top, set their tricky number 10 up down the right wing. Sean McDaddy looked like someone who has been getting no sleep at all at the moment and was unfortunate to see the ball cannon of him and fly over Joe for an OG. At half time, Nolan (not good enough) and Conor (abducted by aliens) were dragged off. The second half was much more of a true Ignatius performance, there was glimpses of sexy football being orchestrated by the skipper (for once) and some real dogged defending. Sean McDaddy had woken up and had the number 10 In his pocket, James was having a blinder down the right and Ignatius were battering a team in the Prem, as it should be.

After being given his first chance in central midfield with things looking bleak at half time, Sean Nolan was replaced by Liam D and the whole game seemed to change, #onemorechance? Conor OG was also replaced by Jack Ryan for his 1st XI debut.

After having a penalty turned down earlier in the half, Ignatius were given a lifeline after Jack was pulled down just inside the area. Although the pen was completely miss hit, it was converted by Renaldo. I suppose they all count. More persistent pressure came with Jake hitting the bar and squandering numerous other chances, it just wasn’t our day.

Tom M

Saturday 29th September 2018 

Old Minchendenians 5 Old Ignatians 1st 2

Man – Callum Barton

Muppet – Sean Nolan

We lined up with Joe in goal, Sean Nolan (right back), Tommy and Callum (centre backs), Jack (left back), Ren, Steve and Sean McD (midfield), Connor (right midfield), Alex (left midfield), Jake up top, with James on the bench.

Opposition’s 1st goal – The game started fairly open with both teams having chances early on …. However Minch opened the score sheet from a long ball deep into our corner which was defended well as Tommy stood the CF up and blocked the attempted cross causing the ball to go off the pitch. Minch then took a quick throw, to their tricky left-winger who had enough time to pick out the opposite winger who was left unmarked at the back post. The player hit to ball on the volley, which was smothered by Joe, but fortune was on their side as the ball dropped back to his feet for an easy tap in. We then stepped up a gear and started to play our normal football again. Having the majority of possession, we were able to create but struggled to convert. A complication started in midfield when Ren made a tackle that upset the other team. Minch’s captain then decided to chase Ren and plant his studs in his legs. The disgusting tackle on Ren ended with a debatable decision from the ref as their captain only saw yellow. With Jack Barton retiring off pitch with his minor hamstring injury, it was a straight swap with James going into LB.

Our 1st goal – Then with 15 minutes to go to the end of the first half, our patience finally proved worth it. The ball was defended well on the left of the pitch and with possession regained we were ready to strike. Steve picked up the ball high in our half, to then pivot and slip the ball into the the path of Alex who made a darting diagonal run, straight through the opposing CB and LB. Alex then took the ball straight to the goal line, where he whipped a low cross, right into the path of arriving Jake who was destined to finally put the ball into the back of the net. With our first goal under our belts, we thought the tides had turned and we were ready to get another.

Oppositions 2nd goal- The CM picked up the ball straight from kick off and passed it out their right-winger, with his fast pace James very quickly found himself in a predicament. He then took the ball to the side of the box so he could embarrass James one more time … which he did. The winger then weaved into the box where he found his teammate waiting to slot home their second goal in the far corner. On the brink of half time, the Minch skipper was able to pick the ball up from our sloppy play and fed the ball to the left-winger who turned made a decision to run straight at Tommy. This decision resulted in Tommy to commit a tactical foul.
With minch gaining a free kick on the edge our our box, their player lined his shot to go straight over the wall and into the top corner. The player hit the ball with sheer power, placing it exactly to where he intended it to go. However, Joe was alert and able to react by taking flight and stretching both arms out to parry the ball away from the goal. 2nd half After a disappointing first half, it was only right for us to talk about our sloppiness with the ball and when defending to stand our men and track our runners.

Opposition’s 3rd goal – Just 2 minutes into the 2nd half the ball failed to reach our attacking players due to a sloppy pass on the right hand side of the pitch. The ball was played directly over the defensive line to their attacking midfielder who we failed to track. Following an extra touch inside the box, Tommy stood the player up until the ball was chopped back onto his favoured foot and with Tommy’s leg left trailing, he caught the player, resulting in the Refbeing left with only one decision – to give a penalty. The ball was rifled straight into the bottom left securing their third goal.

Opposition’s 4th goal – With Nolan caught in two minds to pass or clear the ball, his decision led to a counter by Minch causing Steve to make a covering tackle that was deflected upwards and backwards to the winger who lined up the falling ball for a half volley. The winger caught the ball well, which led to the ball travelling at a fast pace off the inside of the post and into the back of the net. Opposition’s 5th goal – With possession lost around the half way line, the ball was lobbed back into the centre forward whose touch caused a scramble around 25 yards out. Then their centre-midfielder flicked the bouncing ball in the air then around Callum. Due to an unfortunate deflection from a tackle, the ball fell by the penalty spot. Joe saved his first strike, however, with the ball falling to them again they managed to slot it in securing a 5-1 lead.

Our 2nd goal – We kept the ball well, with patience, passing it out wide and back in field. The ball then floated over the defence into Nolan who flicked it up and volleyed it into bottom corner of the net, leaving the goalie stranded and securing our second goal. After a strong attempt to win the match, it was little too late for the team, with the final whistle blowing 5 minutes later with a 5-2 result.

Overall it was a very disappointing result for the team, with domination of possession, this was a game we definitely could have won if we had of played to our strengths and to our usual high standards.

Onwards & Upwards.

James Bell


Saturday 22nd September 2018

Old Manorians Ones vs Old Ignatian Ones

Old Manorians 3 Old Ignatian’s 4

Scorers: Tom Martin; Conor OG; Alex Youngman: Jake Watson

MOM: Jubsey – Jake Watson

Muppet: Magic – Sean Nolan

After a big 5-0 win last week in the cup against Salvatorian’s, the One’s bowled up to Manorians hoping to get our league campaign up and running for the new season. There was a sense of déjà vu in the air for the Tottenham fans among the group, with another long trip to Wembley on the cards. The long trip accompanied by the downpour from the heavens, meant nothing other than 3 points was going to be acceptable to send the group home happy.

The trip to Wembley was not without its troubles. The address and postcode that Dave had sent round to the team in mid-week, sent everyone to where the 2nd XI were playing. As a result, everyone in the team picked up double late fines except Noland, the Barton’s and a certain Tommy Martin, who all had the pleasure of listening to some ‘Careless Whisper’ whilst awaiting the arrival of the rest of the team.

We lined up with Joe O’Grady in goal, James Bell at right back and Mini Barton at left back. Jordi Calba and Tommy started as the two centre backs. The two sitting midfielders were Steven English and Sean McDaddy. On the left we started with Alex Youngman, Ren was playing the playmaker role in the centre and Cubsy was on the right. This meant Burley was up top to lead the line. On the bench were both Noland and debutee Liam Donnelly. This also meant that Home Alone O’Sullivan, Liam/Sicknote/Semiprizzle O’Grady (whatever we call him these days) and Gaffey were unavailable through injury. Cullycoys was probably off skiing somewhere…

We started off the game quite well, settling into our passing game and trying to get used to the wet surface. The team created a few early opportunities with Conor having a scuffed effort saved and Jack Barton hitting a half volley, just wide of the left-hand side post after a great ball in from Alex. Despite our want in trying to knock the ball around, the ball was breaking down quickly in the final third and Manorians were proving to be a threat on the break. Two dangerous balls whipped across the face of our penalty area, served as a caution for our defence. Some good link up play between Sean and Steve, ended up with Steve screwing an effort straight at the keeper. Alex also had a curled effort easily saved by the keeper after some good interchanges between Con and Steve.

Our first let off, of the half came from a simple long ball over the top. Joe O’Grady made the decision to come rushing out of goal and a vital slip at an inopportune time, presented the Manorians striker with a golden opportunity to open the scoring. The opportunity was squandered however, with the goal gaping at his mercy.

The team quickly got back into shape and some good work down the left from Jack Barton, saw an in swinging weaker foot cross, fall on the edge of the box to Conor O’Grady, whom blazed the ball over the bar. The game was starting to become quite open, with both teams having decent chances to score. A Manorians corner only just missed the unmarked head of their tall centre back, which would have been a sitter if connected with. Another corner from Manorians, saw the ball fall on the edge of the box to one of their players, whom hit a volley, which was well saved by Joe.

Our best passage of play in the first half came from another Manorians corner. Jake Watson led a quick break away, picking the ball up on the edge of our box and driving forward before releasing the ball to Cubsy. Cubsy directed the ball back to Jake on the edge of the box, whom saw his shot deflected over for a corner. Joe O’Grady was again called into action at his near post when a slip from Sean McDermott allowed their winger to cut in and hit a low drive towards the near post.

Just as it looked like we were starting to gain control of the game, we committed the cardinal sin and found ourselves a goal behind. A breakaway from one of our attacks, saw Manorians work the ball out to the right. The winger drilled the ball into the box and between the three sliding Manorians players, they managed to bundle the ball past Joe O’Grady and the defending James Bell. 1-0 Manorians.

In all fairness to the team, it was a scrappy goal to give away, however we did not allow our heads to drop. The team picked up the intensity to manage to fight our way back into the game. Our opening goal came rather fortuitously from a goalkeeping error. Conor’s high looping free-kick into the box, appeared to be too close to the goalkeeper, however the opposition’s goalkeeper fumbled the ball straight to the onrushing Tom Martin, whom smashed the ball into the net. Not long after celebrating our opening goal, another one arrived. Some great work from Jake, saw him pick out Con with a ball over the top and Conor smashed the ball into the net, despite the keeper’s best efforts to deny him. Half-time 2-1 Ignatian’s.

We made one change going into the second half, with Sean Nolan coming on for James Bell at right back. The talk at half-time consisted around the midfield starting to gain a better control of the game. For the first ten minutes of the second half, it looked a question of ‘when’ and not if we would score our third goal. Some great link up play down the right between Cubsy and Noland, resulted in Noland swinging a ball in towards Jakey. With the ball slightly behind Jake, he managed to get his first touch under control and unleash an effort, reminiscent of Drogba’s memorable effort against Liverpool back in the day. Unfortunately for Jake, despite beating the keeper, the underside of the bar was in the way to prevent him from opening his goalscoring account for the season. We had a few more efforts blazed wide and over from our forward players in the next few minutes. Sean and Steven English were starting to have more of an influence on the game from midfield and this was allowing our forward players to get more of the ball.

Despite our great start to the half, our reluctance to take our chances, came back to haunt us, with Manorians having a good spell of pressure. Throughout the entire second half, the referee appeared to favour the home side and some questionable decisions enabled Manorians to get back into the game. For a good 5-10 minute spell, we were being put under pressure from corners and free-kicks on the edge of our box. Eventually the pressure tolled as an in swinging corner was not dealt with between Joe and Jack on the back post, allowing the Manorian players queuing at the back post to bundle the ball home. 2-2

It did not take long for us to regain the lead. Some good football in the midfield, enabled Jake to slot Alex in on goal and an expert finish suitably followed. The game had now become extremely open and chances were falling at both ends of the pitch. Liam Donnelly had come on for his first team debut, in the place of Steven English, whom had taken a bad knock to his eye in the first half. The talk after going 3-2 ahead was to keep things tight, however it did not take long for the scores to soon be back on level terms. A cross into the box was cleared by the defence and fell at the feet of the unmarked attacking midfielder on the edge of the box. He seemed to have all the time in the world, before curling the ball past the helpless Joe. 3-3

With only 10 minutes remaining, the three points were there for the taking for both sides. Manorians had the first big chance to take the lead. With the Ignatian team high up the field, pressing to try and get a winner, a long ball over the top saw their striker left in a foot race with Nolan. Despite Nolan’s best efforts to keep up; ’flapping his wings as fast as he could’, the striker got to the ball first. With only Joe to beat, he fired a shot low down, which was stopped by a fantastic save from Joe, to keep the scores level. We continued to press forward in the hope of finding a winner and it soon came when the ball made its way to Ren. Ren played a defence splitting, Ozil-esque pass through to Jake, who calmly slotted the ball home to put us 4-3 ahead. The team were again indebted to Joe O’Grady who made a flying save down to his left in the dying moments, to prevent a fierce effort from nestling into the bottom corner. A long throw in to the box also fell to the feet of the Manorians winger whose shot was vitally blocked by Nolan. The final whistle soon went, resulting in a massive 4-3 win for Ignatian’s.

Man of the Match went to Jake Watson, after having a terrific game up top and causing the opposition defence all sorts of problems. A special mention should also go to Tom, Calbo and Jack for their constant battling throughout. Muppet went to Noland, for playing the game Commando. The lesson to be learnt is not to forget your spare pair of underwear, when going out after a game.

We now have three cup games in a row, starting next week away to Minchendenians. This game will provide us with a good opportunity to get revenge for the loss in preseason.

Until Next Time


Saturday 15th September 2018

1st XI 5 Salvatorians 0     LOBS Cup

Scorers: Alex 2, Conor OG 2, Renaldo

MoM: Sean McDermott

Muppet: Sean Nolan

A the disappointment of the previous week’s loss in our first league game, a big performance was needed to put any doubts to bed and to show our bouncebackability. The squad was without Liam and Matty O due to injury and we lined up as follows:

Joe O’G

James  Peter Tommy Cal

Sean McD Steve

Alex Nolan Ren





We got off to the start we needed when a Peter O’G free kick delivery within the first few minutes was headed down to Alex to open the scoring. This was quickly followed up by a passage of the type of quick free-flowing football we’re capable of but failed to show in the previous game, leading to Alex’s second.

Another period of good football allowed us to feel comfortable in the game as we took control of possession and Tom and Peter dominating their 6 foot 5 striker in the air seemed to get in their heads. The third goal fell after another period of good football – the ball falling to Conor’s right foot to score in to a half empty net.

It took half an hour but the oppo finally managed to slow us down and stopped us playing football by adopting a hit and hope style. Whilst it didn’t threaten us, it was frustrating not being able to play our football. Other than one of their lads falling over when he seemed to have got in behind our back line and an edge of the box volley that forced a good save from Joe, the back line stopped any attempts to get forward, bringing us in to half time at 3-0.

We knew the next goal was crucial and it didn’t take very long, Conor’s cross setting up Ren for a tap in. Nerves gone, 4-0.

The game is never over at 4-0 though, particularly when your own players start shooting at your goal, Ren and Nolan both attempting remarkable Own goals at different points in the game. It was truly game over, though, when Conor’s inswinging cross somehow ended up in the far bottom corner.

It was good to have Jack and Jake back after some time out for travelling and injury respectively, even if the latter spent 90% of his cameo in an offside position, earning him a muppet vote or two.

Conor received a few votes for hitting the corner flag with a shot from kick off but Nolan’s near-OG earned him the title. Man went to Sean McDermott for a dominant all round performance In midfield, setting up the slowest whack-off of all time.

It was a strong performance with the bonus of that all important clean sheet that should inject some confidence in to the squad and we’ll look to bring that in to next week’s league game at Manorians.

Good stuff lads.

Joe OG


Saturday 8th September 2018

9th September 2018 – Albanians vs Old Ignatians

Man – Joe O’Grady

Muppet – Sean McDaddy

After a mixed pre-season with positives and negatives, we made the short journey to Albanians to kick off our league campaign knowing, as we do every year, that we are good enough to win this division if we perform consistently to our abilities. After last season’s shocking run up until Christmas, we know it is vital to have a far better first half of the season this year in order to not be playing catch up again.  Albanians had been promoted from the division below after a great season last year and so we knew they’d be right up for it and wouldn’t give us an easy afternoon.

Despite banging on about commitment to the side, Dave decided he would skip our extremely important first game and go on the piss somewhere in Europe…even two of his sons disagreed at training on his exact whereabouts. Similarly, Jake continued his new fitness regime by eating Guinness in Barcelona. We look forward to his 10 minutes next week before he has to go off.

We lined up with Joe in goal, Callum left back, Matt and Pete CB, Nolan RB, Tommy and Sean McD holding and then Eoin O’G, Ren and Con behind Alex. Steve and James were on the side.

To be honest, it was a pretty boring game with not much to shout about for either side. However, unlike pre-season, we looked very solid defensively throughout the first half with good organisation and communication and players working hard off the ball. The only real chance for the oppo occurred from an out-swinging corner. What should have been a simple header away at the near post for Baby O’Grady, especially with a head the size of his, was made to look anything but. He glanced the ball in to the danger area and to the feet of the oppo. I think it was Ren and Matt who did very well to throw themselves at his feet and deflect the ball over the bar.

Offensively though, we didn’t create much and were reliant on shots from distance from Conor or Alex which became a theme of our game. Apart from a ‘tackle’ from Nolan that was a good 15 seconds late and a cute cuddle between Baby O’G and the poor ref, not much else happened in the half and we went in 0 0 at HT.

Our team-talk acknowledged we were well in the game and just needed to up it a bit in the final third and get a couple of goals to kill off the game. Unfortunately, we started sloppy and several minutes in to the half we conceded. A ball over the top led to Joe calling keepers ball but he never arrived and when attempting to clear downfield, Callum somewhat scuffed his kick which fell to their player midway inside our half. We were caught out by this and he crossed for the striker to finish, all be it slightly fortuitously with a bobble in to the corner.

Our heads seemed to drop for a period after this, the pressure off the ball from the first half had dropped away and we were still struggling to create any real chances.  Despite keeping the ball well for periods, it was clear we missed feeding off burly Jake up top and having Alex on the wing to free up Conor more.

We went 2 0 down in very strange fashion and I’m not totally sure what happened. With the oppo attacking down our right side, Matty decided to take a wander across our box, claiming to have seen something that wasn’t actually there. The result of this was their attacker being completely unmarked in the 6 yard box to head home when the cross came in.

The nail in the coffin came fairly late on. After coming on at RB for the pigeon that is Sean Noland, our very promising young defender James Bell moved across to CB when Matty did his ankle and was forced off. Some of us wish him well in his recovery. A long punt downfield sailed over James’s head and the proper old, burly striker was left free to run through on goal and finish.

Arguably our best chance of the second half fell to Sean McDaddy. A cross in from the right found his well-timed run, only for the ball to skim off his grey head and fly away from goal. Another couple of inches would have helped I think…or so Chloe tells me…

All in all, a 3 0 defeat was harsh but it’s only game one of a very long season. We looked very solid and tidy first half and sloppy errors cost us in the second half along with our lack of innovation in the final third. However, we played some good football and kept the ball well at times and we know we can still win the league this season with a bit more cutting edge all over the pitch. We will improve.

Tommy had a great first half but Man of the Match went to Joe O’Grady for a couple of good saves and a more assured and confident performance. We also congratulate Joe and his dad Paul for raising money for charity while taking part in the Great North Run the next day! Muppet went to Sean McDaddy for his header.

Plenty to look forward to this season once Dave is back and Ren isn’t in charge…including our first social in a couple weeks, although Matt has already dropped out as he is in A&E that Saturday night.


Jordi Calba